Just a demo of how the magnets are working in the piece.
**Update** I am now taking orders for these! If you would like one of your own then shoot me an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Yesterday I focused on getting the compartments on the board finished (or nearly finished). I added a magnet to each of the lids, these are attracted to the screws in the bottom section.
and it actually works… I’ve held it upside down and everything.
I started on the hinges today. It was not fun.
This is the test piece, which took far too long, but was necessary :
And yes, the hinges really do look like this on the actual board.
Marked out all the pieces on Birch wood. Decided to use Birch because it is stronger and will hopefully be able to withstand a bit more movement than pine.
This took hours. Literally. Because they are pretty small I had to do a lot of hand sanding… or else risk loosing a finger on the disc sander. Even knowing that, I was pretty risky and got most of it sanded back using it. Did the rest by hand.
Sorry this is a boring post(!) Will be getting the hinges on tomorrow. Hopefully some exciting looking pictures up soon. I have 1 week, so will have to start the paint job pretty soon, and that’s the fun bit.