Yesterday I focused on getting the compartments on the board finished (or nearly finished). I added a magnet to each of the lids, these are attracted to the screws in the bottom section.
and it actually works… I’ve held it upside down and everything.
I started on the hinges today. It was not fun.
This is the test piece, which took far too long, but was necessary :
And yes, the hinges really do look like this on the actual board.
Marked out all the pieces on Birch wood. Decided to use Birch because it is stronger and will hopefully be able to withstand a bit more movement than pine.
This took hours. Literally. Because they are pretty small I had to do a lot of hand sanding… or else risk loosing a finger on the disc sander. Even knowing that, I was pretty risky and got most of it sanded back using it. Did the rest by hand.
Sorry this is a boring post(!) Will be getting the hinges on tomorrow. Hopefully some exciting looking pictures up soon. I have 1 week, so will have to start the paint job pretty soon, and that’s the fun bit.
So after the bank holiday I’ve managed to get on with some more work on the Jumanji board.
The cast of the ‘board’ and the pattern on the front of the box actually came out with quite a few air bubbles in them. So today was the laborious task of filling and sanding the intricate details
I finally decided it was time to stain the wood darker. I used Brywax- this is the result. Think it looks really good, quite like the fact you can see all the scratches and marks left by sanding. Makes it look old and worn. 🙂
I also worked on the compartments today. Got them attached into the box. Ignore the glue seeping out :-p haven’t got round to tidying it up yet.
Had a little set up of how it’s looking so far. Really happy with the green resin for the middle and the sizes of the playing pieces.
2 weeks to go… I’ll keep you posted.